Skip to main content block
:::
History
    * * *
    *
    Meinong Scenery  According to various historical records, the history of the Meinong settlement can be traced back to around 1698. Pioneers from Jiaping Township, Guangdong province of China traced upstream along the Linluo River and downstream of Ailiao Creek to the Wuluo area. They settled in Wuluo and turned this place into a large village. However, the problem of flooding was serious in Wuluo, so our ancestors began to seek another area for settlement.

     

      At that time, leaders of the Wuluo Right Wing, Lin Feng-Shan brothers, made substantial contributions in the battle against Wu Fu-Sheng, so he lodged an application to the Fengshan magistrate for development of the Meinong area, but Meinong was still a controlled settlement area at that time. The application was not approved until the first year of the Qianlong Period in 1726. In the autumn of the same year, the Lin brothers led the residents of the Wuluo village into Meinong and settled at the foot of Linshan, Shuangfengshan, and Yueguangshan. A total of 16 clans established 24 union kitchens in the settlement named the Minong Village.

     
     
    Old house  In the beginning of the settlement, Meinong's pioneers worked hard to develop the hills, defend the harassment of the indigenous peoples in solidarity, and helped each other to overcome the drinking water problems. The hardship was blazing and, in the next year, Tu Bai-Qing from Zhenping County led over 20 men to Taiwan and settled in Longdu Village. And in the next year, Liu Yu-Heng brought over more than 150 people to settle in the Chutoujiao of Jiucionglin area, which was the Guangsing Tribe. In the thirteenth year of the Qianlong Period (1748), Li Jiu-Feng began his development in the Jhongtan area, which completed the puzzle of the Meinong settlement area.
     
    Old house  At that time, Minong Village was assigned an officer to deal with local administration, public affairs, law enforcement, and litigation in the village and zoned under the municipality of Fengshan County of the Tainan Prefecture. After the Sino-Japanese War in 1894, the Japanese rezoned the areas into administration of the Tainan Fanshuliao Office, which was subsequently merged into the Ahou Office and renamed as the Minong District. In 1920, the Japanese Colonial Government ended the Office system and implemented the state system in Taiwan. Minong, Jhongtan, and Longdu areas are merged into Meinong Village. In 1935, the village was upgrade to into a township and, in the postwar era, Meinong Township was rezoned into the municipality of Kaohsiung County.
    *
    :::